Sunday, March 8, 2009

Reviewing Scale

No, I'm not reviewing any form of media entitled "Scale." Instead, I'm going to explain how I am going to review things from now on (or at least until I get bored with what I'm explaining here). Most people review with 'stars' on a scale from one to five. One being really bad, five being really good. Now, I think that's kind of boring, and one star really doesn't express the loathing I'd have to have for something for me to rate it that low. So I'm moving the scale, and it's going to be a combination of numbers and descriptors.

Pete's Review Rating Scale

-2 -- Epic fail. If I rate something a -2, that means I really disliked it. I'm not going to say 'hate' 'cause hate would mean I actually cared about it. It fails as an art form, and has no merit at all.    -2 means I won't see it again, and, if possible, I would erase it's existence from everyone's memories. Forever.

-1 -- Fail. This means I didn't like it, but not as much as -2. It was bad, but it had some redeeming elements, and I admit that someone could probably enjoy it legitimately. Just not to my taste.

0 -- Meh. This means it didn't grab me, but I didn't really dislike it either. It's about average, and I just didn't think it was that exceptional. Some people probably really liked it, but it left me cold and unmoved. I was probably glad it was over. I would watch it again, but I probably wouldn't seek it out.

1 -- Full of Win. This movie (or other media product) was quite enjoyable. Maybe not deep, but a whole lotta fun. Explosions are a plus, but not necessary. This is where many action movies come in. Not a lot of depth here, but at least I enjoyed what was there.

2 -- Awesome. This rank is reserved for movies (or again, other art forms) that are the best of the best. These movies have everything: good message, good plot, depth of writing, good score, good acting, etc. In order to land here, it has to make me think, but also has to give me a good time. Depressing movies just aren't my style.

No comments: