Monday, June 21, 2010

Netflix and Me

I love Netflix. I really do. I've watched a lot of great movies I would never have seen without it already, and it's only been about a month. But, that said, I do have a few quibbles with the way they categorize their movies.

So, I was going through the "taste preferences" section of my account, the one that lets you fine tune what they recommend to you, and I found a section marked "storylines." 'Ah!" I thought. 'Ah!" thought I. 'Now I can make sure that crappy movies don't pop up on my suggested list.' But there was something odd about the list, which gave a name and a short list of examples for each category. I assumed that these would be examples of movies that centered around each storyline. Now, that's mostly how it turned out. But there were a few that seemed to kind of miss the point. Others amused me. Here's a bunch in no particular order:

  • Shrek is listed as an example for "Coming of age movies"
  • Star Wars Episode II is listed in just about every category, from "Assassination" to "Conspiracies" to "Forbidden Love" to "Space Travel" to etc...
  • There's a category entitled simply "Monkey." No comment. 
  • Predator is given as an example for "Wilderness survival." Along with Madagascar and Ice Age
  • The category "Small Town" lists both Cars and The Village as examples. That's a very broad interpretation of that phrase. 
  • Legally Blonde is listed as an example of a "Political" movie. Now, I haven't seen it, but really? Also in that category are Air Force One and The Hunt for Red October, both of which are good action flicks, but not really political beyond having politicians in them.
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and The Incredibles are both listed as examples of "Mid-life crisis" movies. 
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas is listed as a "Hijacking" movie, which kinda cracks me up. 
  • Angels in the Outfield is listed as a "Ghost" story.
  • Jurassic Park is not an example for the category "Dinosaurs." In fact, there are no good movies to be found in that category.
  • Also, there are entire categories for "Alcoholism" and "Racism." Seriously, who seeks out a movie to watch based on that?

    1 comment:

    tarbelt said...

    There needs to be a category like "movies based on books that only barely resemble the original story." This would save me some serious gnashing of teeth.