This is a half-finished declamation I wrote that was so over-the-top on style that I couldn't use it. At least, not as a declamation. But here, on my blog, I get to indulge my whimsy occasionally. It's mostly in jest anyway, as the problem of people shouting in the halls is a minor one, and one that seems to be fixing itself at that. Ah, well. I'll have to come up with something else for Thursday...
Be Ye Silent in Yon Halls
What manner of man brings loud discourse to these hallowed halls, where scholars study in silence? I ask you, what manner of man disturbs these lavish lucubrations with his booming voice and inconsiderate tongue? Only that man whose boorish tendencies outweigh his common sense. [there was going to be transition material here, but I don't feel like finishing something that can't be used] Surely is is but a small thing to wait until you have exited the premises, or at least entered the Commons Room when Machen is empty, to fill the air with the happy, but distracting, sound of your voices. Members of the faculty have repeatedly admonished you in this regard, but to no avail. Still, in the halls after classes empty there rings the loud sound of chatting voices. So, I ask you, I encourage you, I implore you -- Cease this untimely babble!
No comments:
Post a Comment